Saturday, October 11, 2014

Eeeeeek! Spiders!

October is here already! Which means..... fun Fall themes! I love this time of year. There are so many fun themes to incorporate that get the students excited about learning.

This week we talked a lot about spiders. It is fun to see the kids get squeamish but excited at the same time when learning about them. We launched our Spider week by reading, "The Very Busy Spider," by Eric Carle. It is a great predictable book for students to read along! Not to mention.... I have a pretty fantastic time myself making all of the animal noises. It's a talent I have. Maybe I should add that to my profile description. Just kidding.

After reading, each student was given a paper spider to choose whether or not they like or do not like spiders. We graphed our information to compare which was more or fewer or the same. We found that most of our students do not like spiders. It was close though! I had three boys absent this day.... so our results may be off a bit.

 
 
 
One of my favorite activities to do with my students is make a spider web using yarn! I don't remember where I got this idea, but I have done it for several years now and LOVE IT! I give each student a letter of the alphabet and we toss the yarn in order from the student who as A to the student who as Z. The kids think it is hilarious! Especially when...say... the teacher has to step into the web to get the yarn that wasn't tossed hard enough.. and then nearly trips in the web.
 

 
The black blob in the middle is our spider puppet. Her name is Delilah. Why her name is Delilah, I'm not sure because normally I name my stuffed animals with the same first letter as the animal. You know, like Ted the Turtle, and Elmer the Elephant. BUT, for some reason it hit me one day, that the spider's name was Delilah. And she has a southern accent.
 
We later used our graph to write about whether or not we like spiders. Of course we had to make a spider, too! We displayed them in our hallway! Sooo cute!
 

 
I was probably having a little too much fun playing with my Instaframe app....
 
We had a short week this week due to some awesome professional development, so I didn't get to do all of our spider fun just yet. (We had Rick Wormeli visit for two days. Check him out!) I have a wolf spider in a jar, that my dad so kindly caught for me one year. It makes me nauseous to simply carry the jar, but the kids love looking at it! OOooo! I also bought spider rings so we could read this book! An all time favorite!
 
 I had fun making a some new literacy and math centers to use in the next few weeks. You can check it out in my TPT store here!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Have a great week!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment